Bc Lions Dance Team Auditions
*2020 DANCE TEAM AUDITIONS ARE CANCELLED*
On July 21st 2020, the CFL officially announced that if a shortened 2020 season is made possible based on the proper health and safety measures in place, all games will be played in the hub city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. As a result of this decision there will be no games at BC Place this year and the 2020 BC Lions Dance Team Auditions are now cancelled. Applications for auditions are not being accepted at this time until we have further direction on next season. Please check back in early 2021 for an update on the status of the new season. In the meantime, stay healthy and safe!
Choreographed Dance Team Auditions
Hype Team Auditions
The BC Lions Entertainment crew is looking for talented dancers to join our Choreographed Dance Team & Hype Team! Choreographed Dancers will perform for the judges and have an opportunity to show off extra tumbling/gymnastic skills (optional). Hype Team members should be prepared to learn a short routine and have the ability to freestyle for the judges. You’re welcome to come in with something short prepared.
BC Lions Training Facility
10605 City Parkway, Surrey, BC
• Register for auditions by filling out the ONLINE FORM.
• In order to audition, dancers must have graduated high school and be over the age of 19 as of June 15, 2020.
• Choreographed dance team members must have a minimum of 7 years dance training.
• When you arrive at auditions, proceed downstairs to the registration area for check-in. You will be given a consent form to fill out and will be asked to provide a $10.00 non-refundable application fee for registration. Once the form has been filled out, please return it to the registration desk and provide a 4”x6” or larger COLOUR photo of yourself.
• You must wear athletic gear and athletic shoes. Anyone not wearing the required attire will be asked to change.
• Dancers should have make-up and hair styled as if you were performing at the stadium on game day.
• It is expected that you will be in good physical condition and that you have a high level of dance experience.
• Most importantly, come with a positive attitude, work hard, and have fun!
Choreographed Dance Team judging criteria:
• Dance ability
• Showmanship & crowd appeal (personality projection, enthusiasm, energy)
• Interviews (finalists only)
Hype Team judging criteria:
• All Types of Freestyle dance ability – popping, krumping, waacking.
• Interviews (finalists only)
How many people audition for the Dance Team?
Approximately 100 to 150 candidates will audition to fill 30-40 final game day positions. Previous Dance Team members are required to audition for the 2020 season in order to make the team. You must attend the tryouts on Sunday, March 22nd for an opportunity to make the team as no further tryouts will take place.
What type of time commitment is involved if I make the team?
Being a BC Lions Dance Team member is a large commitment for nine months. The Choreographed Dance Team rehearses every Wednesday from 7-10pm starting in mid-March until the 108th Grey Cup in Saskatchewan. Dance Team members can miss a maximum of three rehearsals.
Hype Team members will have Wednesday rehearsals before each home game.
All dancers will be required to perform at the BC Lions pre-season game and all nine BC Lions regular season home games, as well as one potential home playoff game.
You will be required to participate in the 108th Grey Cup Festival and Championship, which will be held in Saskatchewan.
Members of the BC Lions Dance Team also attend more than 200 corporate, charity and community events per calendar year as the face of the BC Lions Football Club.
Do the Dance Team members get paid?
Yes, Dance Team members are paid per game and for appearances.
Dancers also receive two 2020 BC Lions season tickets and are provided with numerous sponsored services such as gym memberships, tanning, clothing discounts and hair styling.